Author: Latrice Fray
The vanilla cupcake.
The sweet treat that just about every child dreams of! While cupcakes are usually the centre of every birthday party (especially the ones held at school), they should be eaten, no matter the occasion. Now with summer in full swing, they are perfect for families to pack in the picnic basket. Keep them cool, though. The last thing you want is melted frosting.
Here’s an easy, fool-proof recipe that will keep you at the top of your little one’s most loved people’s list!
1 c sugar
1 tsp vanilla bean paste
¼ c butter (softened)
1/3 c plain sour cream or Greek yoghurt
¼ c canola oil
1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
1 ½ c cake flour
3 ½ tbsp corn starch
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2/3 c milk
1. Combine sugar and vanilla bean paste in bowl until fragrant.
2. Add butter, eggs, sour cream, oil and vanilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
4. Fold dry ingredients into bowl, alternating with milk.
5. Fill paper liners half full.
6. Bake at 350° for 12 to 14 minutes.
Whether you top your cupcakes with your favourite store-bought frosting, or prefer to whip up something at home, make sure the cupcakes have fully cooled before you start to decorate. BPM