Summer weather seems to call for lighter, quicker fare for the whole family, especially kids. Our bodies tend to crave less of the carrots, turnips, potatoes and pumpkin that we may eat during cooler weather. But kids still need healthy choices in their summer diets. Yes – this holds true even if your family spends the entire summer grilling out – and no, ketchup on a hot dog or burger does not qualify as a vegetable, despite how well they may argue this ‘fact’.
The key is to create nutritious choices that they will want to dig into. A couple of favourite summertime recipes (below) are easy to whip up, full of vitamins and antioxidants, and super easy for kids to eat. Kids (of all ages) seem to love salsa and love smoothies, both of which can be great choices for the warm days of summer!
SALSA VERDE RECIPE
- 1 bunch Scarlet Frill mustard greens
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3/4 cup chopped scallions (about one small bunch), or red onion
- 3 tbsp capers, rinsed
- Juice and zest of one organic lemon
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt (or to taste)
Chop up the mustard greens and cilantro leaves. Pulse in a food processor if you would prefer a smoother texture. Mix with remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and serve.
Other herbs and greens to try include parsley, mint, tarragon, oregano, arugula, and dandelion.
Delicious served over root vegetables, avocado, potatoes, fish, chicken, meat on chips or anywhere you would use traditional salsa as a condiment.
- 1 head of lettuce or other greens (about 1 cup packed)
- 1 cup frozen berries e.g. blueberries, strawberries, etc.
- 1 small banana, about 1/2 cup or so
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt (optional)
- A handful ice cubes, optional
- 1 teaspoon honey, optional
- 1 cup cold water or coconut water (we like coconut water)
Place the ingredients into your high speed blender and blend for a minute or until desired consistency is reached.
Honest Greens Bermuda provides weekly, contactless delivery of fresh, locally grown specialty greens and culinary herbs. No GMO’s. No Toxic chemicals. No Crap. Yes Delicious!
Sign up for your 4 week ‘Trial’ subscription today at www.honestgreensbermuda.com. Use Promo Code BDAPARENT and get 10% off the initial subscription cycle.